T-Shirts and Suits Creative Enterprise Network

Creative Enterprise Network :: www.creative-enterprise-network.com

Creative enterprises can sometimes be funded by raising small amount of money from lots of people.

Read the blog about 'Crowd-Financing' to fund a film, by selling film credits - and how Fiona Maher raised funds by selling bit parts in her film on eBay.

I'm interested to know what you think about this approach, and how it works for certain types of creative businesses. I'm especially interested to hear from creative entrepreneurs who have raised finance in this way.

PS: Here's a video from the T-Shirts and Suits animation channel.

Views: 938

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone! Crowd Funding can really work for a lot of different projects and uses. My first experience of crowd funding was in Turkey. I was visiting Istanbul while performing at the Theatre Festival there and went to a couple of performances at a beautiful contemporary studio theatre called Garaj Istanbul. Their fabulous building was in the bottom part of an old unused car park or garage (hence the name). In the foyer there was a big mural of lots of different brand names. When I spoke to one of the founders of the theatre they said they used crowd funding by asking local businesses to contribute to the fund and in return they would have permanent advertising in their foyer on the board. A very good idea and was very popular with local businesses. The theatre founder also explained that this was quite a popular way to fund things in Turkey and many thinga have been funded that way. Since this experience I funded a couple of projects this way and one of my dear friends even paid her way to circus school using this method, so get on board!!
Thanks Rachael !

A friend of mine is organising an event in London soon: "Create the Future: Crowd funding" on 18th July, 6.30pm -9.30pm at Passing Clouds in Hackney. For more info and to book, please visit this link - http://crowdfundingcreativity.eventbrite.com

Kinofilm are raising funds via an Indiegogo campaign to bring back the Kinofilm Festival!

Since 1995, Kinofilm has supported over 3000 filmmakers, screening short films from over 20,000 international submissions. Over the years we have shown groundbreaking film on the big screen to diverse audiences, and we want to continue!

Time is running out to contribute:http://www.indiegogo.com/Kinofilm-Festival

Thanks for your support.

You can use crowd-funding platforms to test the market for a new product, service or project, in parallel with raising finance to fund new creative initiatives.

This was one of the many interesting points made by Slava Rubin, Chief Executive Officer of the crowd-funding platform Indiegogo, where we were both speakers at a creative industries conference in Santiago de Chile.

Market research can be expensive but it's crucial to be able to test the market to minimise risks. Feedback from potential customers can help improve products or services at an early stage of development. Posting a project on Indiegogo or another crowd-financing platform provides an opportuntiy to test the potential popularity of a new product.

Even better, creators can establish an online dialogue with potential investors who are also likely to be customers and consumers of the product.

Don't just think 'crowd-funding', think 'crowd-testing'.

Slava Rubin and David Parrish

Slava Rubin, Chief Executive Officer of Indiegogo, with David Parrish, at the Cultura y Economia conference in Santiago de Chile.

Hi David,

Nottingham film maker Jeanie Finlay has done just this with her most recent feature film 'Sound it Out' a documentary on Teeside's last surviving vinyl record shop  http://www.jeaniefinlay.com/wordpress/?p=559.

Paul.

Crowdfunding - more info and inspiration

Whilst working with creative and digital businesses in New Zealand, I had the pleasure of meeting digital media guru Helen Baxter of Mohawk Media in Wellington's creative quarter.

Helen has written about crowd-funding for Generator on The Big Idea, the home of New Zealand's creative community. Written from a NZ angle, the articles provide additional information and inspiration for creative entrepreneurs everywhere.

On the page 'Attracting a Crowd', Helen says of crowdfunding, “Without a good promotional strategy across old and new media to back up your campaign, it’s like putting a poster on your bedroom wall and hoping the world will see it.”

Related articles explain more about Planning, Platforms and Performing. Platforms mentioned include New Zealand's own Pledge Me, Australia's Pozible, as well as internationally renowned KickStarter, Rocket Hub and Indiegogo. The advantages and disadvantages of various crowdfunding platforms are set out clearly in a table on the Platforms page.

As well as a wealth of information on this Generator site, there are links to David Branin's Crowdfunding Cheat Sheet and a free eBook: The Crowdfunding Bible On Campaigns That Succeeded & Those That...

---

See also: Crowdfunding video; Crowd Testing; and Crowdfunding to finance a film.

Crowd-funded film wins an Oscar!

Inocente was made with the help of $52,527 (£35,000) raised by 294 backers through KickStarter in June last year.

The documentary was awarded with the prize for best documentary short at the ceremony.

Two other crowd-funded films, Kings Point and Buzkashi Boys, were also nominated but came away empty-handed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21574994

RSS

© 2017   Created by David Parrish.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service